Summer reading is important in our house. Kids need to keep their skill set and reading everyday really helps with that. We have a rule in the Summer. Reading first thing in the morning for a set amount of pages before anything digital or play time. This way they get what is important done and out of the way! One way to help with motivation is taking advantage of all the free summer reading programs! Most give small prizes or opportunities to win bigger prizes.
- Your Local Library - Our local library has a fantastic reading program. They offer incentives for hours or books read. Each week you visit the library and you fill out a paper that logs your progress. Then they have little coupons for the kids. These were typically for fast food restaurants, ice-cream cones or a free game of bowling.
- Barnes and Noble - They offer a free book to kids who have read 8 during the required time!
- Scholastic.com - is challenging kids to read this summer. Log your progress and enter to win prizes.
- Your Local Bank! Our local band TD Bank offers $10 deposited in the child's account if they read just 10 books this summer! (grades k-5)
- Pottery Barn - They offer a free book when you complete their reading list.
- Chuck E Cheese - offers tokens for completing their reading chart.
- Pizza Hut- has a Book It Summer edition and kids have a chance to earn prizes.
This post is part of Summer Reading for Elementary Kids.